Cinnamon Banana Bread Flax Porridge [Grain Free + Whole30 Approved!]


Porridge is one of my favorite easy breakfasts, but since I am intolerant to oats, I have done a LOT of experimenting with using different grains over the past year. A little over a year ago I was dealing with many health complications associated with my Celiac Disease, and I wanted to start making myself nutritious, energy dense meals that would help heal my body. Here are some of my favorite grain-based porridges:

Basic Buckwheat Porridge
Baked Buckwheat Porridge 
Popped Amaranth Porridge

However, after about 6 months eating these breakfasts, I was still not feeling well. I did a lot of research and saw many articles noting that all grains (not just those containing gluten) may be hard for some people to digest, and may cause systemic inflammation and poor gut health. I decided to try cutting out all grains to see how my body responded.

But I had a dilemma - how would I make my favorite breakfast without a grain!? After many trials and errors, I created several different grain-free porridge recipes; some using vegetables, some using coconut flour, but the most successful so far is definitely my Flax Porridge! Here is a list of my grain-free porridge options:

Zeggs
Cauliflower "N'Oatmeal"
Coconut Porridge

and the best of them all......

Flax Porridge

My original recipe for flax porridge calls for pumpkin puree, vanilla extract and a sweetener of choice. While pumpkin is Whole 30 approved, sweeteners such as vanilla extract and stevia are not. Instead of using pumpkin puree, I mashed half a banana and used natural spices like cinnamon and maca powder to sweeten the porridge naturally. I actually liked this version better than my original that uses artificial sweeteners!

This recipes is loaded with healthy fats, protein and fiber, and tastes just like a piece of cinnamon banana bread!



Serves 1

Contains NO gluten, grains, dairy, nuts, or artificial sweeteners.
Paleo and Whole30 Approved


You will need:

  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 3/4 cup egg whites
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (canned, without preservatives)
    • use light coconut milk for a lower fat option
  • 1/2 banana, mashed
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch nutmeg
  • pinch ginger
  • maca powder, to taste (optional)

Directions:

  • Place all ingredients besides the spices in a saucepan and turn on the heat to medium.
  • Whisk continuously until the porridge thickens (trust me, it will!) - about 5-7 minutes
  • Add the spices toward the end of cooking to keep the flavor.
  • Pour in a bowl, top with the rest of your banana and whatever else you want.
  • Dig into your grain free porridge!


Enjoy! :)

Comments