Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes [Vegan + Gluten Free]


Lemon and poppyseed go together like peanut butter and banana. These pancakes taste just like your favorite lemon poppyseed muffins! Using a vegan buttermilk makes them super moist, and the addition of maple syrup adds the perfect sweetness to balance the tart lemon flavor! Packed with healthy fats, carbs and protein, these pancakes will give you a ton of energy to start your day. And best of all, they are 100% vegan and gluten free!



Serves 1. Makes about 6, 2.5" pancakes


You will need:

  • 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
  • 2 tbsp coconut flour**
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
  • 1 tsp poppy seeds
  • zest of 1/2 a lemon
  • 1 cup vegan buttermilk (1 cup soy milk + juice from 1/2 a lemon + 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
  • 1/2 tsp lemon extract (or juice from the other half of the lemon)


Directions:

First, form your buttermilk by combining the three ingredients in a bowl, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to curdle.

Preheat a pan over medium heat and melt a little coconut oil.

In a medium mixing bowl, add the buckwheat and coconut flours, baking powder, sugar, poppy seeds and lemon zest and whisk to combine. Pour in the buttermilk and lemon extract (or lemon juice), and whisk to combine. The batter will be thick, but pourable. If it seems too dry, add a bit more soy milk.

Turn the heat down to medium low, and pour a heaping 1/8 cup of the batter onto the pan, flattening the batter with the back of a spoon until it forms a circle. Let it cook for a couple minutes, then flip and cook until both sides are golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the batter.

Top with fresh fruit and lots of maple syrup!

Enjoy! :) 


**NOTES: If you don't have coconut flour, sub with 2 tbsp buckwheat flour and decrease milk to about 3/4 cup.

Comments

  1. I haven't tried this combo yet, but I think it's pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think you'll like it Ilona! Definitely worth a try :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Casey!! Love your Instagram and blog! Your recipes look amazing! I haven't gotten to try any yet but I'm planning on doing so soon!

    I have a couple questions though. I'm horribly allergic to coconut unfortunately, but I see many of your recipes use coconut flour. Would you recommend just using extra buckwheat flour then? And I use rice milk for my milk, but I've found with baking that it's a lighter consistency than soy milk, will it be okay to use in your recipes as a substitute also? Oh and do you buy your foods and ingredients mostly from your local area or online at all? I've been looking for more healthier trustworthy food sites, I'm still pretty new to gluten-free eating!! Thanks for all the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph!! Thank you so much, I'm so happy you enjoy my blog and recipes! You can definitely substitute a different flour for coconut flour, I would choose either buckwheat or garbanzo bean flour. I prefer the flavor of buckwheat in sweet recipes like this. However, since coconut flour is VERY absorbent, you will have to decrease the amount of liquid in the recipe, probably by 1/4 - 1/2 of what the recipe calls for. If you have any specific questions about a certain recipe and liquid amounts, feel free to email me or comment under the post! and you can use whatever milk you would like, rice milk would be fine!

      I buy most of my "superfoods" like maca/mesquite/lucuma/cacao powders, mulberries, chia, hemp seeds, cacao nibs etc online in bulk (usually Amazon, because it's much cheaper that way) but general things like flours and every day foods from my local grocery store!! if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to contact me! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi! Love this idea of lemon poppyseed.
    I have a question though, do you think I could put the batter in a cupcake tin and then bake them like muffins? Or will they burn?
    Thanks!~ xxxx Stella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... Pancake batter is a lot different than muffin batter, usually more liquidy, so I'm not sure if it would work. If you tried it, I would decrease the liquid so the consistency is more like a bread batter (thick, doesn't pour) rather than a liquidy pancake batter! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi! It's me again, I tried to do this recipe but I don't know what I did wrong. the buckwheat had a gray color to it that would not change and look light and lemony like yours. Also, the poppy seeds seem to disappear. This is my first time handling buckwheat flour, as I am newly vegan. Thank you so much, and if you have any clue what I did wrong, I'd like to know how to fix that please. i'm so confused!
      ~thank you so much! xxxx Stella

      Delete
    3. You didn't do anything wrong at all! :) It's probably because I used "light" buckwheat flour rather than "dark". The only difference is that the light is made with hulled buckwheat, and dark is made with unhulled buckwheat. Dark buckwheat has a stronger, more nutty flavor to me, so I wanted these to be lighter so the lemon could really stand out!

      Delete
  4. hi,

    the link for the buckwheat flour, is that the exact one you use? i find the flour to be very, very dark and have made pancakes before with it and it did not turn out as light colored as yours. any tips? thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I used a "light" buckwheat flour for these, not the darker one in the link. I think the brand of light buckwheat flour I used was Bouchard Family Farms :) Light buckwheat flour uses hulled buckwheat, whereas the Bob's Red Mill contains ground seed hull, leaving black specks in it!

      Delete
  5. Hi Casey! I love your blog and recipes, and was super happy to see it mentioned in Buzzfeed a while back!
    I was wondering if i could substitute buckwheat for oats in this recipe, and coconut flour for regular flour.
    I live in Japan and access to any remotely healthy goods is nonexistent!!
    Thanks a lot !
    Nour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You could definitely sub oat flour for buckwheat in this, but the coconut flour could not be replaced by regular flour. Coconut flour is very absorbent, so using regular flour would make the batter super watery. If you wanted to use regular flour instead of coconut, try using double the amount (4 tbsp instead of 2 tbsp) Good luck! :)

      Delete
  6. hey was wondering why your pancakes look so white in the picture if your using buckwheat flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the kind i bought was a light buckwheat flour! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment