Chai Spice Pear Buckwheat Porridge


Chai spiced tea is my weakness, I have at least 3 cups of it a day. I had a few ripening pears sitting on the counter this morning and I wanted to use one in my breakfast, but I though it would be boring with my usual vanilla porridge.

I think the combination of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg match perfectly with the sweet pear. It gives this breakfast a warm, spicy kick to start the first day of 2014 off right!

Serves 1

You will need:

  • 1/4 cup buckwheat flakes
  • 1/4 cup TVP (I use this for added protein)
    • this recipe will also work with 1/2 cup oats or buckwheat flakes
  • 3/4 - 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup egg whites
  • 1 pear
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Directions:

Chop your pear into very small pieces, saving a few slices for a topping at the end.

Pour the water into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Stir in your buckwheat and TVP (or oats) and lower heat to medium low. Let to simmer and thicken for a minute or two, then add your spices and pear, stirring to combine.

Next, slowly pour the egg whites into the sauce pan, stirring continuously so they don't become scrambled eggs. Let it simmer and bubble until the egg whites firm up and the porridge becomes less watery. Make sure you are stirring every so often to evenly distribute the egg whites. 

I topped it with the rest of the pear, a sprinkle of hemp and chia seeds, and drizzled it all with peanut butter! 

Hope you enjoy this warming, filling breakfast!

Comments