Basic Vanilla Buckwheat Porridge


I always loved a warming bowl of oatmeal in the morning when I was younger, but since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease and IBS, I haven't been able to tolerate oats, even those labeled "certified gluten free."

While in London this Fall, I was continuously searching for an easy breakfast I could make before class, and eventually found buckwheat flakes - the perfect gluten free substitute for oats!! Now that I'm back home, I have been using Bob's Red Mill Creamy Buckwheat Hot Cereal for the base of my porridge, and have had great success!!



For my Basic Vanilla Buckwheat Porridge, you will need:

  • 1/4 cup buckwheat flakes
  • 1/4 cup TVP (I use this for added protein)
    • this recipe will also work with 1/2 cup oats or buckwheat flakes
  • 3/4 - 1 cup water, depending on your preferred consistency
  • 1/3 cup egg whites
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • toppings of choice

Directions:

In a small sauce pan, bring water to a boil. Add your buckwheat and TVP (or oats) and lower heat, allowing to thicken, approximately 3-5 minutes. While this cooks, cut your banana in half. Put one half aside, and mash the other half into a puree. Stir your smashed banana into the buckwheat, and add vanilla extract. Allow to cook for another few minutes until the porridge has thickened, then pour in the egg whites. Stir occasionally until the egg whites cook and the porridge becomes fluffy. Slice the other half of your banana and add any other toppings you like! My favorites are peanut butter and and fresh fruit :)

Comments