Basic Vanilla Cauliflower Flax Porridge (with flavor ideas) + Life Updates!


Wow, a LOT has happened since my last post!!! In a few words, I've moved out of my parent's house to my own apartment and got a new job! I am absolutely in love with my place, and can't wait to start my new job as an Educator at ivivva athletica - aka, lululemon for girls!

I'm still working very hard to reach my fitness goals, as well. I have a more personal instagram account that focuses on my fitness and progress, check it out if you're interested @rosey_fit! I post products and supplements that I use, workouts, and of course, food!

Now...onto the real reason for this post! I have a recipe for Flax Porridge that is more like a warm pudding, but I've made a version that I like even better, using riced cauliflower which provides a lot more volume, fiber, and a full serving of veggies! It comes out more 'porridge-like' because the cauliflower has an oatmeal texture.

I love this porridge for a few reasons - first, it uses only a handful of whole ingredients and nothing fake! It's gluten free, grain free, paleo, dairy free, nut free and low carb. I also like that the base is practically flavorless, so you can literally mix ANYTHING in to have different flavored porridge every day! (Read on for flavor ideas). Also, topping choices are ENDLESS, and you all know how much i love my toppings!

Basic Vanilla Cauliflower Flax Porridge
Serves 1
Gluten Free, Grain Free, Paleo, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Low Carb


You will need:

  • 2 tbsp milled flax
  • 1 cup riced cauliflower
  • 1/2 cup water or milk of choice (milk will yield a creamier porridge)
  • 3/4 cup 100% carton egg whites
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • sweetener of choice, to taste 
    • i use liquid stevia, but mashed banana, maple syrup, agave, honey would all work
  • optional add-ins and flavor ideas: 
    • Caramel: Organic Burst Maca
    • Cinnamon
    • Pumpkin Pie spice
    • Apple Pie spice
    • Chocolate: cacao powder
    • Lemon Poppyseed: lemon extract + poppyseeds 
    • Coffee Cake: instant coffee grounds + cinnamon
    • Peanut Flour

Directions:
  • In a small sauce pan, add the water (or milk), egg whites, flax and cauliflower. 
  • Turn on the heat to medium.
  • Whisking every so often, let this cook for about 5-7 minutes to thicken into an oatmeal consistency (trust me, it will!)
    • You will need to be whisking and stirring more often toward the end of the cook time so it cooks evenly and egg whites don't scramble!
  • When the porridge has almost reached the right consistency, add the vanilla extract and sweetener, plus any other flavorings you are using.
  • Stir until all are incorporated, pour into a bowl and top with whatever you want!! 
Enjoy!! :)



Macros for Basic Recipe (using water and stevia):
  • 4g fat
  • 8g carbs (1g net carbs)
  • 7g fiber
  • 23g protein


Comments

  1. Have to try cauliflower porridge! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and the recipe sounds great! I was wondering what you thought about using a whole egg as opposed to just the whites. Do you think it would change the flavor/texture a great deal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely could try whole eggs! It will probably make the porridge even creamier :) You may find that it tastes more "eggy", but if you add enough flavorings it shouldn't be too noticeable!

      Delete

Post a Comment