Basic Vanilla "Buckflower" Porridge + my Pre- and Post-Workout Nutrition!

1

Now that I'm really starting to focus on my fitness/weight lifting to build lean muscle, I needed to get serious about my nutrition, as well as the timing of my food to create the best environment for my muscles to recover and grow.

I've done a lot of research regarding pre-and post-workout nutrition, and still finding what works best for me. I usually can't work out on an empty stomach, I just feel hungry, tired and weak. Ain't nobody gonna PR their squat feeling tired and weak!

Normally, I wake up and have 2-3 rice thins with half a can of tuna mixed with Frank's hot sauce (helps with vasodilation so more oxygen gets to your muscles before your workout - it's practically an all-natural nitric oxide supplement!) along with a cup of coffee (caffeine y'all), about 20 ounces of water with BCAAs.

Post-workout, I try to get a 2:1 ratio of simple carbs to protein, with minimal fat because fat will slow absorption. I aim to take in most of my daily simple and starchy carbs within a 4-6 hour window after my morning workout is over, tapering as the day goes on. As for fat intake, it tends to be low in the morning around my workout but I eat more healthy fats later in the day as my carb intake decreases.

This is just what I've found to work for ME, everyone is different and you may find you don't need to eat anything pre-workout, or maybe you need to eat a full meal before! Just experiment with it and see how you feel!

ANYWHO, this breakfast is a great post-workout meal to refuel your muscles with glycogen, and it has a great dose of protein to kickstart muscle growth. It's made with buckwheat flakes, an awesome starchy carb for gluten-intolerant people who cannot tolerate oats. Read on for the entire recipe!



Serves 1


You will need:

  • 2 tbsp buckwheat flakes (I use Bob's Red Mill Creamy Buckwheat Cereal)
  • 150g riced cauliflower
  • 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tbsp milled flax seed
  • 1.25 cups water
  • 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice 
    • I use liquid stevia, but you could use mashed banana, agave, maple syrup, honey, erythritol, anything!
  • Additional add ins: maca powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc! 

Directions:
  • In a medium sized sauce pan, add the water, buckwheat flakes and riced cauliflower, then turn on high and bring to a boil.
  • Immediately lower heat to medium/low and stir until it thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
  • Add the vanilla extract, sweetener, chia seeds and milled flax, stirring until incorporated.
  • Once the seeds soak up some of the liquid, add the egg whites and stir constantly until the porridge is thick and fluffy.
Top with fruits, nuts, yogurt, nut butters, or anything you want!

Enjoy! :)

Comments

  1. Just had some chocolate egg white oats this morning! They were deeeeeeelish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing idea, thanks for sharing your pre and post workout meals! I've started since 1 month to train seriously and I'm learning to change eating to be more performance. So usefull post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment