Basic "Zeggs" [Grain Free Oatmeal Alternative]


I have another delicious, vegetable-based, grain free "oatmeal" option for you! You may recall my N'Oatmeal, which is made of riced cauliflower. While I absolutely loved this delicious option for grain free oatmeal, I found that cauliflower is quite irritating to my IBS, so I don't eat it often. Zucchini, on the other hand, is quite mild in flavor while being non-irritating to my stomach, so I adapted my recipe to use zucchini (or summer squash could even work!!). Add simple flavorings to make a sweet, delicious, and filling breakfast!



Serves 1


You will need:

  • 2 small zucchini (or summer squash)
    • about 2 packed cups, shredded
  • 4-5 egg whites
    • or 1/2 cup carton egg whites
  • 1/4 cup coconut or almond milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed
  • sweetener of choice, to taste (stevia, honey, coconut sugar, etc)
    • I used about 5-7 drops liquid stevia
  • additional spices, extracts, or protein powders for flavor
    • maca powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cacao powder, instant coffee grounds, etc

Directions:
  • First, you need to shred your zucchini. Use your food processor's "grate" attachment - it takes about 30 seconds to shred, compared to several minutes using a hand grater!
  • Place the grated zucchini in a strainer and let it drain over your sink or a bowl for about 30 minutes. I found the end results to be much less watery when I did this. Squish as much liquid out as possible before cooking.
  • In a small sauce pan, bring the milk to a low boil over medium-high heat.
  • Turn down the heat to medium-low and add the egg whites, stirring constantly so the eggs don't scramble.
  • Add the vanilla extract, ground flax and all other sweeteners/flavorings/powders you want to use, stirring to combine.
  • Lastly, add the shredded zucchini to the liquid, stirring until the zeggs reach your desired consistency.
  • Tip: The longer you let it cook, the mushier the zeggs will become!

Top with fruit, nuts, nut butter, seeds, chocolate, yogurt, or anything else you want!!

Enjoy! :)

Comments