Nutty Cinnamon Flax Cereal [Gluten + Grain Free, Vegan]


Every so often I have MAJOR cereal cravings. Don't we all? There's just something about digging into a big bowl of cereal drowned in cold, thirst quenching milk... it doesn't get much better! However, eating a gluten free, grain free, low carb/sugar diet pretty much nixes any "healthy" cereal options I could potentially have, so I decided to try to make my own, using only a handful of wholesome ingredients that will nourish our bodies.

While this cereal doesn't have the expected "crunch" like most do, I actually love the softer, chewy texture. It reminds me of tiny little pieces of a chewy granola bar, and it fills me up much better than those substance-less flakes of "whole grain" cereals. My Nutty Cinnamon Flax Cereal is low in carbs (only 10g net per 1 cup serving!), but high in fiber, healthy fats and protein - exactly the kind of foods our bodies need to perform optimally.

This cereal has a nutty undertone from the flax and hemp, which I think is balanced well by the cinnamon. I added vanilla protein powder for a little extra sweetness.

My Nutty Cinnamon Flax Cereal is gluten free, grain free, nut free, dairy free, and vegan!



Makes 5, 1 cup servings
Gluten Free, Grain Free, Nut Free, Dairy Free, Vegan


You will need:

  • 1 cup ground flax seeds
  • 1 cup shelled hemp seeds
  • 4 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup erythritol (or to taste)***
    • you can use 1/4 cup coconut sugar, or 1 tbsp stevia sweetener (like Truvia)
  • just under 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
  • optional: 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used Egg White)
    • choose plant based for vegan

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 300F, and line one large (or two medium) cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Place the flax seeds hemp seeds, cinnamon, granulated sweetener, and optional protein powder in your food processor and process until combined.

Add the water and coconut oil and blend again until the batter is smooth. 

*** If you don't want to use a granulated sweetener, you could try 1 cup 100% apple juice, in place of the sweetener and water. Add this with the coconut oil.

Pour the batter onto the parchment and spread it around until it's about 1/16 of an inch thick - the thinner you spread the batter, the crunchier the cereal will turn out.

Place the cookie sheet(s) in the oven for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 250F and bake for another 10 minutes.

Remove the cereal from the oven. With a pizza cutter, begin to cut into small squares. I made mine about the size keyboard keys.

Turn off the oven, and place the cereal back inside for about hour, or until crispy. The thinner you spread the batter initially, the less time it will take to crisp up. Conversely, if you don't spread the batter thin enough, it will take longer than an hour.


This tastes fabulous with ice cold coconut milk! I added nuts and toasted coconut for added crunch, and a handful of berries for a little sweetness.

I hope you like my Nutty Cinnamon Flax Cereal! :)

Comments