Warm Coconut "Porridge" [Gluten/Grain Free]


I think by now you all know how much I love breakfast! I mean, probably half my recipes are either porridge or pancakes! Transitioning into a grain free, high fat, lower carb diet was definitely a challenge at first because I knew I couldn't have my beloved bowls of popped amaranth porridge.

A couple weeks ago, I created my version of Cauliflower N'Oatmeal, which was definitely a success and I absolutely love it! However, it is quite time consuming and I know I won't be able to have it every morning once school starts and the mornings become chilly, so that's why I set out to make a new version of "N'Oatmeal" which uses coconut flour - and takes about a third of the time to make!

When you prepare this breakfast, you might think "this does't look like a lot of food," but trust me when I say all the fiber and healthy fats from the coconut ingredients will keep you full for HOURS! This was probably the best tasting "porridge" I've EVER had, and that includes grain-based porridge! It's rich, warm and super satisfying, I know this will be a staple breakfast for me.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!



Serves 1 - Gluten free, Grain free




This is "Maca Pecan Pie" Flavor

You will need:

  • 3 tbsp Coconut Flour, sifted
  • 2 tbsp shredded coconut
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk 
    • canned coconut milk will yield a thicker porridge, but I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk with success
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 egg
    • one reader had success with a vegan flax egg substitution
  • 1/2 mashed banana - optional for added sweetness 
    • I did not use banana found the flavor to be sweet enough
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • any additional spices (these are what I used for Maca Pecan Pie):

Directions:
  • Place the liquid ingredients with the coconut flour and shredded coconut in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring once or twice.
  • Immediately turn the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring half way through.
  • Take the pan off the eat, then crack the egg into the porridge. 
  • Whisk vigorously so the egg doesn't cook, and return to the heat. 
  • Stir in the mashed banana if you're using it, vanilla extract and any spices.
  • Cook about 2 more minutes until the porridge reaches a nice thick consistency.
  • Pour into a bowl and top with nuts, nut butter, berries, or whatever your heart desires!

Enjoy! :)

Comments

  1. I love how it looks! Really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ilona!! I like how it tastes even more hehe ;)

      Delete
  2. Just like your cauliflower N'Oatmeal, I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Made it this morning for my mom and I! Thanks Casey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear that Cassie!! No problem :)

      Delete
  4. I tried it with the flax egg for a vegan porridge and it worked great! Love this stuff- thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, thank you for letting me know!!! So glad you like the recipe! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment