Coconut Flour Chocolate Waffles [Gluten Free + Grain Free]


Here is a scrumptious chocolate version of my gluten free, grain free waffles! If you have a massive sweet tooth like me, you'll absolutely love this... #dessertforbreakfast!



Serves 1
Makes about 4 small (3-inch diameter) waffles


You will need:
  • 2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 1 tbsp cacao powder
  • heaping 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp sweetener of choice, or to taste (coconut sugar, stevia)
  • 1 egg
  • 5 tbsp egg whites (from the carton)
  • 1.5 tbsp milk of choice (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk)
  • 1 tsp coconut oil or ghee, melted (plus more to grease the waffle iron)

Directions:
  • Sift the coconut flour, cacao powder and baking powder into a mixing bowl. 
  • Add in the granulated sweetener and whisk to combine.
  • Beat the egg, egg whites and milk in a separate bowl. Make sure these liquid ingredients are at room temperature before you add the melted coconut oil or ghee (I microwaved it for about 15 second).
  • Melt the coconut oil or ghee and add it to the liquid ingredients, then stir to combine.
  • Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry, whisking constantly. 
  • Continue to whisk until all the clumps are gone and the batter is smooth.
  • Let this sit for about 10 minutes so the coconut flour can absorb the liquid and the batter becomes thick.
  • Preheat your waffle iron and coat it with a thin layer of coconut oil or ghee.
  • Pour some of the batter onto the center of the waffle wells, then let cook. I let my waffles cook about a minute longer after the timer went off - I found that the consistency was better the longer they cooked.
  • Repeat with the rest of the batter until it is all gone.


I topped mine with melted peanut butter, toasted coconut and fresh raspberries! These waffles had a fabulously soft, cake-like texture on the inside! I felt like I was eating chocolate cake with a peanut butter frosting.... yes please!

Enjoy! :)

Comments

  1. I'm hooked on pancakes so am really keen to try waffles, would you recommend any particular waffle iron? Thanks :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just picked up a cheap one from my local store, so there isn't really a brand i would suggest! they all do the same thing :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks anyway :) love your blog!

      Delete

Post a Comment