Basic Vanilla N'Oatmeal [Grain Free] + Flavor Ideas


For a while now, I've been having significant stomach issues after eating meals - bloating, pain and cramps to name a few. I've started to really look at what foods I'm eating that may be causing these issues, and my symptoms seem to flare the most after eating meals high in grains, carbs, and sugars. I've researched a lower carb diet that is high in healthy fats and animal proteins, and after seeing the positive results of people in a similar situation to me, I have started transitioning into this type of eating.

I have to say, even after only 5 days eating grain free, low carb/sugar and high fat/protein, my stomach issues have all but disappeared. While my body transitioned into using healthy fats for fuel over carbs, my energy levels dropped slightly during the first couple days, but now, after about 5 days eating this way, I feel energetic and focused, I have no cravings for sugar and carb laden foods, and my body seems much more able to digest the foods I'm eating.

If this way of eating sounds like something that might benefit you, I would HIGHLY suggest that you read the book Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter. DO NOT jump into a grain free, high (healthy) fat and protein diet without first researching how to do it properly, what supplements you might need to add, etc. All I know is, I feel fabulous and I will definitely be keeping up a grain free, high fat diet!

So, one of my biggest dilemmas was how to make my beloved porridge without some type of grain. There is nothing like a big, comforting bowl of porridge on a cold morning. After researching, you might be wondering how I made grain free "oatmeal"...... There is a secret ingredient that you might scoff at at first, but don't knock it till you try it! I made this deeeeelicious bowl of "oats" with riced cauliflower!

This breakfast is rich, creamy, filled with fiber and healthy fats that will keep you full for hours!



Serves 1
Grain Free, Gluten Free


You will need:

  • 1 cup (packed) riced cauliflower
  • 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 2 tbsp golden milled flax meal
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • sweetener to taste (I used about 20 drops liquid Stevia)
  • optional add-ins like
  • toppings of choice
    • nuts/nut butter/seeds
    • berries
    • coconut chips
    • cold coconut milk

Directions:
  • You will first need to rice your cauliflower. Cut off a few large stems from the head, rinse them over cold water and pat dry. Place in your food processor and pulse a few times until you achieve a rice-like texture. Set aside.
  • Over medium heat, place the coconut milk, water, vanilla extract, sweetener and cauliflower in a medium sauce pan and bring to a low boil.
  • Let it simmer until the cauliflower softens, about 10-12 minutes.
  • Remove from the heat and pour in the eggs, stirring continuously and vigorously (very important) so the eggs don't cook/curdle.
  • Lastly, stir in the flax meal and any other add-ins you want.
  • Transfer to a bowl and top with whatever you'd like!

I hope you enjoy this hearty bowl of porridge as much as I did!



Here are some flavor ideas that you could try!

Apple Pie:

  • Add 1/2 tbsp apple pie spice to the dry ingredients.




Pumpkin Spice:

  • Add 1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice to the dry ingredients.



Chocolate:
  • Add 1-2 tbsp cacao powder to the dry ingredients.




Comments

  1. I'm so excited by this! I've been following you IG account as one of my various sources of health-food inspirations for a while now, but I recently also decided to try going LCHF. Please keep it up, you'd be the first and only LCHF account I'm following, and any tips for actual *healthy* eating on this diet would be wonderful (I don't want to overdo it on animal protein... and I too miss oatmeal!). Do you know of any other IG users I should check out? Also I hope you start feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely plan to keep it up, I feel amazing! I'm glad you are also trying this way of eating, it's amazing. I don't know of any other LCHF bloggers actually! As for animal proteins, great snacks could be a handful of nuts, veggies and guacamole or hummus, a hunk of cheese with some olives and low carb crackers, etc :)

      Delete
  2. This is intriguing! I would love to try this out sometime! I am wondering if beating the eggs in vigourously would be a problem with a large batch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a double batch the other day and beat in 4 eggs with no problems! It should be fine :)

      Delete
    2. Oh thanks! Just saw your reply. I will have to try it soon.

      Delete
  3. this looks delicious, i am looking forward to trying it out. my sister and i recently started our own blog and yours is one of the blogs that inspired us to do so. would you mind checking it out and giving us feedback? thanks xx http://turnipforwhat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a beautiful blog! Amazing photography, awesome recipes, and very informative which is great! Keep it up :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, sweet cauliflower, this sounds really crazy but I am going to try it at the weekend now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Casey!
    I was wondering if the eggs were a very important part of the recipe or if I could skip them (or replace them)?
    I feel very curious about your recipe, and I might try it out tonight (we can always have breakfast for dinner, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!! I think you could probably replace the eggs with a couple flax eggs if you want! I wouldn't suggest skipping the egg or egg replacement, because it helps make the porridge creamy and thick. Let me know how the recipe turns out if you try the flax eggs! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment