Homemade Hummus without Tahini


I. love. hummus. I seriously could eat my weight in hummus every day, it's just so delicious. As of late, I unfortunately have felt very sick after eating hummus and think it may be due to the tahini (creamed sesame seeds) that it is usually made with. I've really been missing my hummus, so I made my own without tahini, and I actually think I like it better this way! It's the perfect snack with veggies or on toast. Chickpeas are loaded with healthy fats, protein and fiber, making them a perfect addition to a vegan or vegetarian diet.



For a basic hummus, you will need:

  • 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • juice from 1/2 a lemon
  • 1 tbsp olive oil (or more, depending on how creamy you like it)
  • 1/4 tsp Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
Add spices like garlic powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, etc for more flavor and variety!


Directions:

Rinse and drain your chickpeas and place in a food processor. Add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and any spices you want. Process until smooth. You will definitely have to stop and scrape the chickpeas down from the sides to get rid of the chunks. Add more olive oil if you want a creamier hummus.

Eat with veggie sticks, spread on toast, or (if you're like me) just enjoy by the spoonful!

Comments