Homemade Gluten Free Bread


Homemade bread, there's nothing like it. I've never been a huge bread fan and don't care for the pre-made gluten free loaves, but what do I do on the days when I crave smashed avocado on toast and look longingly into the cupboard to find NO BREAD?! Well, I make my own, of course!

This is my first-ever attempt at baking gluten free bread, and I knew it probably wouldn't come out perfect since gluten is key in making the bread fluffy and doughy. As I expected, the bread is pretty dense. However, the crust came out crispy (but crumbly) and the inside is moist. The center didn't rise as much as I would have liked, which is probably due to too much moisture. I guess that's what experimenting is for!

Makes 1 loaf

You will need:

Dry Ingredients:

Liquid Ingredients:
  • 1.25 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp agave nectar (honey/molasses/sweetener of choice)
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 eggs (or equivalent egg replacement)

Directions:

In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients, except yeast, until combined well. 

Prepare your yeast by pouring 1 cup of the warm water in a separate bowl with 1 tsp of the agave nectar, then add your yeast and mix. Let sit until a foam appears on the top. This means the yeast is activated and can be added to the dry mixture. 

Add the olive oil, remaining agave nectar, lemon juice, and beaten eggs (or egg replacement).

Mix together, adding more water as necessary to make a smooth, doughy, sticky batter. This batter will not form a traditional "dough" like wheat bread, but be more like a thick muffin batter. Pour into a bread pan and smooth the top with wet fingers. You can sprinkle seeds on the top if you choose - I used hemp seeds. Place in a warmed oven or draft-free space and allow the dough to rise for about 45 minutes.

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and place the risen dough on the center rack. Bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.

Slice and enjoy!

Comments