Embracing a Higher Fat, Grain Free Lifestyle





Hello readers!

You may notice this is not my normal recipe post you've become accustomed to seeing. I've decided to write a little bit about eating a high fat, lower carbohydrate, moderate protein diet.

This post will discuss my decision to transition into eating a diet high in healthy fats and low in carbs and sugar, and how this diet has benefitted my health (and could potentially benefit yours, too!). I will talk about healthy high fat foods and how I adapted the "LCHF" food pyramid to accommodate my dietary restrictions related to IBS, Celiac Disease and several other food allergies. I'll offer advice for meal preparation, and include photos of some of my not-so-photogenic meals and snacks that don't make it to Instagram! Lastly, I'll give suggestions for some of my favorite books and websites to educate yourself more on this lifestyle. :)




Background

FAT. Your body needs it, your brain needs it. Humans MUST consume dietary fat to survive, it's as simple as that. But it's confusing!!  What do all these words MEAN?

First and foremost, you need to educate yourself about this lifestyle. I would like to mention the book Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter, who discusses the consequences of eating a diet high in refined carbohydrates and sugars. He details the negative affects that these foods have, not only on our digestive system, but on our brains, too. He brings up an excellent point regarding a high fat diet - we must also reduce the amount of refined carbohydrates and sugars in our diets in order to reap the most benefits from this lifestyle.

Dr. Perlmutter discusses the "Hunter/Gatherer" period of our nation's history, before the Industrial revolution, when people were lean, strong, and muscular. What were these people eating during that time? Full fat sources of protein from animals and animal byproducts (like eggs), lots of nuts and seeds, plentiful amounts of vegetables, and select in-season fruits. No grains (there was no way to process them), no sugars....no obesity! What happened when industries started milling and processing grains and promoting "low fat" foods (which they then had to "fill" with something else, namely more carbs and sugar)? We got fat. This really struck a chord with me, and I hope it makes sense to you too! Dr. Perlmutter's book Grain Brain is definitely a must-read if you are beginning to think more seriously about transitioning into higher fat lifestyle.

Many people nowadays underestimate the importance of healthy fats in our diet. I believe this is mainly due to the negative connotation from the media, which has consistently promoted that "eating fat will make you fat." I, and thousands of others, are living proof that eating a high (healthy) fat diet does not, and will not, make you fat! However, we must consider the types of fats we're consuming. We need healthy sources of fats from REAL foods. Foods that you recognize and could name if they were placed in front of you, like an avocado, a handful of almonds, or olives. We do NOT need "fake" fats from foods like fast food burgers, prepackaged desserts, and candy bars, all of which are also packed with refined carbohydrates and sugar. Like Dr. Perlmutter says, if we reduce the amount of carbohydrates and sugars in our diets and supplement with an abundance of healthy fats, we can fight the obesity epidemic one delicious spoonful of nut butter at a time!



What do you eat on a higher fat diet?


So now you're thinking...

"Ok, I can eat as much fat as I want and I won't get fat! Cool!! ...But what fats are healthy fats? What fats should I be eating?" 

That is exactly the research I had to do myself, and I chose to include the following food pyramids, which give a good general overview of what kinds of fats are the staples in a high fat diet:


General Staples for a High Fat Diet
A more Paleo approach

The first pyramid gives great examples of foods in a general high fat, low carb diet. It stresses fresh, non starchy vegetables, meat and eggs, nuts and nut butters, plant oils, high fat animal byproducts such as cheese, butter, and cream, and some seasonal fruits. This is my preferred pyramid out of the two, since it seems more relevant and easier to follow for our time period. I consume everything listed besides the dairy products (due to my lactose intolerance).

A high fat diet is exceptionally good for those of us with digestive problems, mainly do to the absence of irritants like grains, legumes and - in my case - dairy. This was one of the main reasons why I decided to switch to a high fat diet. The main changes I've noticed are reduced bloating, cramps and stomach pain, less fatigue after eating, and much more energy during the day.
While some may be able to tolerate dairy in a high fat diet, it's an easy food group to remove. But do not fear, my fellow lactose intolerant peeps, there are still plenty of delicious high fat foods for us to enjoy!

The second pyramid shows a more Paleo approach to a high fat diet. Paleo diets are not necessarily "low carb," and include starchy veggies like potatoes and squash. Paleo diets strictly prohibit grains, legumes and sugar.

I consume and almost Paleo diet, so I do not consume any grains, dairy products, or legumes (besides peanuts/peanut butter, which my body can tolerate), and try to limit the amount of added sugar in my diet, preferring a natural, low calorie source such as Stevia. 




How will a high fat diet benefit you?

On the more profound end, high fat, low carb diets have been shown to help in the treatment of autoimmune diseases (I know first-hand that it has helped decrease my symptoms related to Celiac Disease!)



What can we conclude about a high fat diet?

Eat and abundance of REAL foods like veggies, grass fed meat, wild fish fish, pasture raised organic eggs, plant oils, nuts, seeds, organic full fat dairy products, and fruits. 
If your body can tolerate it, consume small portions of legumes, preferably higher fat choices like peanuts. 
Do not consume grains, refined carbs, or sugars of any kind.
Feel a whole lot better and be happy! Doesn't that sound good to you? :)



Meal Suggestions

Your next questions might be....

"Well, how do I prepare meals without using grain products? Pasta is a staple for dinner in my house!"

Again, do your research!! A quick google search for grain free, high fat, low carb meals will bring up a ton of results. Start with easy things, and as you get comfortable with new ingredients, you will feel more confident trying more challenging recipes.


Examples of my daily meals and snacks:

Breakfast:

Could be savory or sweet, I like making coconut flour mug cakes/pancakes/waffles topped with nuts and nut butters, or some type of egg dish, usually filled and topped with lots of veg and avocado.

Chocolate Coconut Flour Mug Cake


Omelette with veggies and avocado


Lunch:

Usually a big salad, topped with a protein source like tuna, shrimp, or sliced chicken breast, a couple fats like avocado and nuts, lots of veggies, and a high fat dressing. I also make zucchini noodles sometimes to switch things up!

Spinach salad with tuna, walnuts, tomatoes, avocado, and avocado vinaigrette dressing.


Dinner:

I tend to eat dinner with my family, and we usually have something easy like a big piece of baked or grilled meat, (chicken, salmon, white fish, turkey burgers, ground beef burgers, etc). We cook these with oils like flax, olive or coconut oil, and also steam up a ton of fresh and frozen veggies. You could also make hearty soups using canned coconut milk or heavy cream during the winter months, which could easily be frozen and stored for leftovers.

Grilled Chicken Salad with corn, avocado, parsley and an olive oil/balsamic dressing.

Snacks:

Some of my go-to's are chia pudding, hard boiled eggs, snack packets of nut butter, a baggy of mixed nuts, sliced turkey roll-ups, or raw veggies with guacamole!

Walnut Butter snack pack 


Going out to eat? No worries.
For breakfast, get a big omelette or scrambled eggs with sauteed veggies. If the meal comes with toast or any other grain, just ask to substitute it for extra eggs or veggies! 
For lunch, opt for a big salad topped with a protein source like chicken, fish or beef, and a few healthy fats like olives, cheese, or avocado. Commercial dressings tend to contain lots of sugars, so your best bet would be to ask for a side of olive oil and balsamic.
For dinner, choose a meal from the "Meat and Poultry" or "Seafood" sections, and bypass the pastas and pizzas completely. Make sure your meal contains a piece of high quality animal protein, and choose non-starchy veggies for your side(s). 


Further Reading and Resources

Recommended books:

Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter



It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig



Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas




Recommended Websites: 


Comments

  1. Excellent info Casey! I love your salad ideas. Of course I've always done light or fat-free dressing, but would love to do full fat. So much more flavor. Do you have some salad dressing recipes you can post and where did you purchase your avocado dressing? Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacki!! The only dressing I've made is a simple Lemon Balsamic Vinaigrette, which is 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp lemon juice, the zest from half a lemon, a few turns of fresh cracked pepper, and a pinch of salt. The avocado dressing is Whole Foods brand! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! :-) I've a question concerning your diet. You are eating a lot of healthy fats but almost no carbs. Isn't that 'bad' for your body and you don't have enough energy? Everybody tells me if I don't eat carbs I won't have energy and get sick etc. Don't you ever feel so tired and limp bc you didn't eat carbs? Do you do any sports? For sports you necessarily need carbs, isn't it? I'm so curious about your lifestyle and would love to try it!
    Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! A common misconception is that "low carb" means "no carb." This is absolutely not the case with the way I eat - I eat an abundance of fruits and vegetables, all of which are rich in carbohydrates. Because I get my energy primarily from fats, which burn slow and help stabilize my energy throughout the day, I don't feel cravings for "quick energy" carbs, since fat is already giving me a continual supply of energy. But I do eat fruits and starchy veggies like sweet potato to help balance out the energy I'm getting from the fats. I just choose not to eat grains. Our bodies do need carbohydrates in order to function properly, but just not to the degree our society consumes now. Hence "LOW" carb, not "NO" carb :) I do increase the amount of carbs i eat slightly on days I exercise, because I know I will perform better, which leads to faster improvements in fitness. I hope this helped :)

      Delete

Post a Comment